Thursday, September 20, 2007

God is good...all the time.

Tim shared with friends that "grief and joy come back to back in life a lot." Nine years ago I woke up to empty arms and struggled to prepare for a memorial service. One year ago today I woke up to a 9 lb blessing named William Matthew.

Last year on Josiah's birthday we refused medical induction for our baby that was 2 weeks overdue. I didn't have a problem with Will being born on 9/19 if that was God's plan, but I didn't want it to be at the convenience of the doctor. We left the hospital and came home to spend the day with our boys and wait. I went into labor that afternoon and we arrived at the hospital at 11:00 pm. William Matthew was born at 12:30 am on September 20th.

God chose to give us a visual reminder of his goodness. This morning I woke up next to this reminder. As he rolled over and rubbed his eyes, I was able to thank God for his faithfulness. I was also reminded that he pours out his blessings in our lives when we don't really deserve them.

Many times in life I am reminded of different characteristics of God but I think one that is sometimes overlooked is God's goodness. People will talk about God's love, his faithfulness, kindness, mercy and so on. Those are all a part of who God is. When we struggle with difficult times it is hard to remember that God is good. God by his very nature can not do bad. When I see things happen that I don't understand I have to remind myself that even though I don't understand the God I serve is bigger than I am. He sees eternity and has a plan. He is good ... all the time.

Job1:21b

The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.

No comments: