Tuesday, April 7, 2009

It's a God thing

When we lived in south Florida, we used this expression at church a lot. It really is about looking at the circumstances in your life and realizing that they probably aren't really chance but God at work in even the smallest details.

It's been a while since I have thought or used the phrase but yesterday something happened that I truly believe was a "God thing".

I went shopping by myself yesterday (that's not it). This happens every couple of weeks or so. I didn't really need much yesterday but Tim knew he would be gone all day today and so he encouraged me to go by myself and I did. My plan was to go Dillards and then possibly stop by Walmart and Target. I missed my exit for Dillards and ended up at Walmart first. I actually managed to spend quite a bit of time wondering around until I finally figured it was time to leave with my purchase of milk and coke. As I left I missed my turn and had to drive a bit to be able to head back home. On the way I saw an educational store. I've noticed it in the past but always when I was with Tim and the boys. I was on the phone with Tim and told him I was going to run in and explore.

So here I am in this store when in walks a lady with her daughter. She seems slightly frazzled and I overheard her (yes I eavesdrop) mention homeschooling to one of the clerks. Well now I am curious and so I wonder closer and decide to be bold and go up the counter and wait for an opportunity to speak with her. Turns out she is homeschooling her high school son because of problems with the local school where we live. I start chatting with her and giving her some ideas for resources. We continue to chat and wouldn't you know it she lives in the town we do. (We were actually in a community about 20 minutes away.) She is military (which wasn't a surprise). At the end we were talking and I asked if she lived in a certain community and come to find out she does. This community is one of our top three target areas.

We continue to chat and I drop the big bomb. I mention that we moved here to start a church. This is the point where you can really tell a lot about people. If they are interested or turned off it is at this moment that you can totally read them. Well she wasn't turned off at all, she was very interested. She is struggling with her son and doesn't know where to turn. I was able to give her my phone number and email address and encouraged her to contact me.

So I got out to the car and called Tim to tell him about this "God thing" because it is neat to see all the things that happened yesterday to put me in this store at this moment to be able to share with this person and to make a connection with someone in our target area.

5 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

Yay!!! Doesn't that give you goosebumps? And I know you were a blessing to her, just to listen to her story. I hope you make a new friend.

Gretchen said...

Very, very cool, Robin. So nice of you to come visit me, too.

i miss Dillards. Just sayin'. ;)

His Girl said...

wow! how exciting... I popped over from a comment you left on I think Gretchen's... but I think reading this is a "God thing" for me too...

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Love this story, Robin. Yep, I'd say it was a God thing for sure.

(Glad you got to meet some of my blogging buddies...Gretchen and His Girl. I LOVE those two. And of course, you know I love Sus).

Happy Easter.

Stephanie @ My Answered Prayer said...

That's great! Hope she contacts you!

So are you a real life friend of Meredith's?